If I wrote the foundations, I wouldn’t have an issue with any of them.
We’re a rule making — and breaking — species. We attempt to determine legal guidelines of nature, create legal guidelines or our personal, and implement them with penalties if society doesn’t abide. But, every rule was written by a human being, is being ruled by a human being, and is vulnerable to misinterpretation or error.
With out guidelines, it’s doable we’d find yourself with full chaos, rapidly return to occasions of high-noon shootouts, and have a troublesome time educating our kids; with guidelines, our kids develop up with preconceived notions of what’s doable, applicable, or ‘good’ vs ‘dangerous’. Our guidelines give us peace, certainty, and predictability in our lives. Breaking guidelines offers us freedom, achievement, and independence.
So, I ask you to think about the next query: is it extra necessary to observe guidelines, break them, or have each experiences in life?
Personally, I feel it’s nice to observe some guidelines, contemplate after they make sense and don’t make sense to your actuality, and abandon others. Not too long ago, I’ve been equally questioning guidelines of planet Earth. There are specific “legal guidelines” we all know to be true — not less than till they’re not true — and these embrace, however will not be restricted to:
● Gravity — not too long ago, I’ve been questioning how illusionists play with gravity, levitate, and get objects to carry off the bottom with out something hooked up. I do know Chris Angel is known for this on the streets of Las Vegas, and I not too long ago watched Adam Trent do the identical. Viewers members test on all sides of the article and nothing is hooked up. So, what makes it defy gravity and the way does that work? Is it really doable to carry off the bottom if we focus onerous sufficient, deny our perception in gravity — and our life expertise thus far — and work together with this world in a barely totally different means?
● Time — since time is a human assemble it doesn’t really exist. In different phrases, yesterday is going on similtaneously right this moment and tomorrow. As a substitute of pondering of time as linear, as in left-to-right, let’s flip it and contemplate it up and down, in the exact same second. Mainly, time is a cumulative sum of ‘now’, over and over. And if now is the one second, this implies our notion of time is topic to how and the place we focus. And if our focus modifications, does this imply time will bend, relative to our personal expertise? How does this assist or harm clarify when time appears to maneuver slowly vs when it appears to be on tremendous pace? Is time really bending, or is time merely a matter of interpretation, and our environments have modified sufficient to make it really feel in another way?
● House/Distance — if I stroll over to you and it takes 5 steps to get to you, that’s ‘actual’ distance, proper? Properly, kind of; in case you select to stroll, sure. Nevertheless, in case you select to ‘challenge’ your self — within the type of gentle or power — you might be sitting proper subsequent to me, proper now, regardless of how far-off. A standard expertise with this is likely to be chatting with somebody on the telephone. At first, you may really feel you actually miss them, however when you’ve chatted for a bit, shared a pair laughs, and possibly even a tear, you’re feeling sure to this individual, as in the event that they’re proper within the room with you. House separating a direct interplay between you not pertains due to the power to make use of your voice and expertise to cancel out distance. So, that is how we use our ‘voice’ to vary the notion of distance. How can we use our different senses to do the identical? Can we see somebody proper subsequent to us if we shift our sight a bit and assume a bit in another way? I do know I can shut my eyes and picture you’re proper subsequent to me; how is that totally different, from a consciousness perspective, than really spending time in the identical room? Is there a distinction in physiological response, reminiscence formation, feeling, expertise, or some other issue outdoors of shared bodily area?
● Gentle vs darkish — is gentle the ‘absence of darkish’ or is darkish the ‘absence of sunshine’? I do know this may occasionally appear unimportant, however contemplate this: if gentle is the absence of darkish, this implies the one factor stopping gentle could be darkish on high of it. (instance: putting a blanket on high of a lightweight would make it appear as if no gentle is on, however truly there’s a blanket blocking the sunshine) Properly, in case you contemplate the ‘gentle of your soul’ — or the portion of you that is gentle — being the identical, then the one factor stopping you from shining “your gentle” all over the place unexpectedly could be one thing overlaying you up. And, if we take away the veil that’s stopping you from shining in all instructions, is it doable you may ship your silhouette (the sunshine portion of you) in any route you need, and so far as you select?
● Air (and its objective) — we breathe oxygen from the air, and we contemplate survival the primary objective for air’s existence. Nevertheless, I used to be meditating the opposite day and began fascinated by some ‘what ifs’ after I was completed. One query I had was ‘what if life had been a recreation and I was the one who designed it?’. Properly, I do know I’d design it intelligently, so I might ship messages — or communication — between all sides of my recreation, instantaneously. I would even contrive of a “substance” I might use that will be like connecting to wifi wherever within the recreation for speedy communication. And just like the web, what if the sign traveled invisibly? I suppose ‘air’ could be my medium, and this may counsel air has the power to hold messages, emotions, intelligence, and/or expertise. Fascinating new means to take a look at one thing throughout us, and it actually doesn’t observe the “guidelines” we all know to exist on the earth round us.
● If we blindly observe guidelines, there may be “order” in society; if we mechanically abandon each rule, there may be chaos. Nevertheless, if we thoughtfully rethink guidelines sometimes, query what actuality could be like with out them, and give you different methods of processing the world round us, there may be progress.
Immediately’s thought train: what if all the things you “knew” was improper?
Despatched to you with love, compassion, and gratitude,